It is a pleasure to announce the Call for Papers for the upcoming EFMI Special Topic Conference – ICT for Health Science Research on the 7-10 of April 2019 in Hanover, Germany. The conference is organized by the Peter L. Reichertz Institute under the patronage of the GMDS and is dedicated to the 50th anniversary of Peter L. Reichertz start at Hannover Medical School (MHH) in Germany.
EFMI Special Topic Conference
ICT for Health Science Research
Hanover, Germany / April 7-10, 2019
Call for Papers
AIMS AND SCOPE:
The EFMI Special Topic Conference on ICT for Health Science Research (https://stc2019.eu) is dedicated to recent research & development supporting information systems in biomedical, translational and clinical research, as well as semantic interoperability across such systems for the purpose of data sharing and analytics of cross-system integrated data. ICT systems for health science research are used in application domains such as clinical trials, development of drug and medical devices as well as translational medicine, aiming eventually at better prevention, diagnostics and interventions in health and care.
A major challenge in this field is the communication with healthcare ICT systems since much of the data for health science research is coming from healthcare. Nevertheless, research often requires data of higher resolution, precision and quality than is typically available in healthcare ICT systems. Thus, healthcare data sets are extracted, transformed and loaded into research data warehouses, which leads to duplication of data and might challenge the integrity of data sets relating to a specific individual across research and healthcare systems, possibly hindering personalized medicine and translational research.
The conference is focused on topics including (but not limited to):
- Architectures and ICT tools for health science research (e.g. EDCS, CTMS, RDR)
- Interfaces with diagnostic or therapeutic systems (e.g. HIS, LIS, PACS)
- Electronic support in systems and precision medicine
- Integration of genome, phenome and exposome data for research
- ICT systems supporting translational research and medicine
- Data standards and ontologies (e.g. ODM, BRIDG, FHIR)
- Open metadata and automatic parsing
- Data provenance and stewardship
- Big data analytics
- Electronic phenotyping
- Mobile data capture and electronic patient reported outcomes (e.g., ePRO)
- Data quality, privacy, and security, as well as consent management
- Anonymization and de/re-identification
- Data liberation and reuse, serving both research and care
EFMI STC 2019 will take place in Hanover, the capital of the German state of Lower Saxony. With a population of more than 500,000 people, Hanover is famous for its large trade fairs such as Expo 2000, the annual CeBit and Hanover Fairs with more than 200,000 visitors. The venue will be the historic Leibniz House located in the very city center.
The scientific program will consist of:
- Invited presentations
- Peer-reviewed contributions: oral presentations of full papers
PETER L. REICHERTZ SYMPOSIUM
EFMI and the Peter L. Reichertz Institute for Medical Informatics are celebrating the 50th anniversary of Peter L. Reichertz’ start at Hannover Medical School (MHH) in Germany. PLRI has been established 11 years ago joining the medical informatics departments from University of Braunschweig and MHH. Only invited talks will be given. Both, the Reception on Tuesday and the Symposium on Wednesday are free of charge for all participants (registration is required). All communications will be in English.
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Under the patronage of the GMDS, this STC is organized by the Peter L. Reichertz Institute
Thomas M. Deserno, PLRI Campus Braunschweig, Germany (Chair)
Michael Marschollek, PLRI Campus Hannover, Germany (Co-Chair)
Martin Dugas, University of Münster, Germany (Program Development)
Jürgen Stausberg, University of Essen, Germany (Opening & Closing Sessions)
Alfred Winter, University of Leipzig, Germany (EFMI Session)
SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Amnon Shabo (Shvo), Haifa, Israel (Chair)
Inge Madsen, Aarhus, Denmark
Hans-Ulrich Prokosch, Erlangen, Germany
Kristiina Häyrinen, Finland
Klaus-Hendrik Wolf, Hannover, Germany
Fernando Martin-Sanchez, Madrid, Spain
Matthias Löbe, Leipzig, Germany
SUBMISSIONS, PROCEEDINGS AND PUBLICATIONS:
Please upload your submissions on the following website: https://access.online-registry.net/stc2019/
Authors are invited to submit anonymized papers in English presenting original and unpublished research.
Papers should not exceed 5 pages according to the IOS Press style for Studies in Health Technology and Informatics (SHTI):
Papers are selected either for oral or for poster presentation purely based on content, quality, and the authors preference. The decisions are made autonomously by the SPC.
Authors who want to present a poster submit a 2 pages abstract according to the IOS Press guidelines. Poster abstracts are not indexed.
Authors aiming at oral presentation submit a 5 pages paper according to the IOS Press guidelines. On acceptance, all authors have the chance to modify the submission according to the reviewers comments. Poster presentations are still limited to 2 pages (not indexed).
For oral presentation, there are two options:
- 5 pages paper according to IOS Press guidelines. These papers are published in Stud Health Technol Inform, which is indexed in MEDLINE/PubMed, Thomson Reuters' Web of Science (Conference Proceedings Citation Index, Book Citation Index), Elsevier's Scopus, EMCare, as well as in the Database Systems and Logic Planning (DBLP).
- Alternatively, the authors of oral contributions can submit to a special issue on information systems in biomedical research in the Journal of Medical Systems. This journal, published by Springer, Berlin, has a high reputation and was given an impact factor (IF) of 2.098 in 2017. To avoid double publication and self-plagiarism, the authors choosing this option additionally submit a 2 pages abstract for the proceedings, which is not indexed. Note that all papers for this journal need to pass the regular review process. So, it might happen that a submission is rejected, but then there is no option to turn back to the 5 pages proceedings paper with IOS Press.
The registration form can be soon found at: https://stc2019.eu
DEADLINES (all at 23:59 CET):
11-09-2018: Deadline paper submission (already extended)
07-01-2019: Author notification
31-01-2019: Early bird registration ends
04-02-2019: Deadline IOS proceedings papers / abstracts
15-03-2019: Deadline JOMS special issue
07 to 09-04-2019: EFMI STC Conference
10-04-2019: Peter L. Reichertz Symposium (invited talks only; free for all)
QUESTIONS AND FURTHER INFORMATION:
Univ.-Prof. Dr.rer.nat. Dipl.-Ing. Thomas M. Deserno
Peter L. Reichertz Institute for Medical Informatics
of TU Braunschweig and Hannover Medical School